Subscribe to my podcast?

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I AM HOT

Well, I have some bad news and good news.

First, the bad news...

It all started one promising Friday afternoon.

After washing the dishes, I sat down at the computer to carefully organize my Itunes songs, making sure each album had the correct artwork. I had been waiting to do this all week long, in fact. Soon after, however, a 30-second hurricane hit with 115 mph winds and soon we were out of power. Shannon and I spent much of Friday evening picking up giant branches and organizing them into cute little piles.

That was four days ago. Up until yesterday afternoon, we still had no power. Finally everything turned on...well, sort of. As it turns out, after our power turned back on, there were constant power surges. Our always caring landlord suggested that we turn off our air conditioning so that the surges would stop. Shoot, the AC was blowing hot air out anyway, so we did so, but then half the house had no power. A couple hours later, we turned the AC back on and it was doing the same thing. We decided to bite the bullet and keep it running all night so we weren't miserable trying to go to sleep.

This morning we woke up and it was doing the same thing. Not only that, both the refigerator and the air conditioner seemed to be broken. I promptly went to work (where AC was free, baby!), but lovely Shannon called me throughout the day saying quote "the cats and I are going to die if we don't get out of this house." It was 93 degrees outside and not much cooler inside our house. I called the Omaha Public Power Dept. whatever and they would be out "as soon as possible." We also called our landlord (the caring one) a couple four times, who said an electrician would be out "as soon as possible." Apparently we are not the only ones affected by the hurricane last week.

It's currently 11pm on Day 4, and 87 degrees inside the house, 75 degrees outside the house. I'm not lying. I bought a new cheap box fan at K-mart, so perhaps we can survive tonight.

The good news? I just saved a bunch on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

Oh, and we have the internet! :)

Thank God for the internet.

No comments: